- ELIGIBILITY: This Artist Competition is open to painters world wide who are at least 18 years of age. One registration per artist.
- DURATION: This online competition runs for 12 months. Once entered, paintings remain on the site for the entire competition to promote the Artist's work to the public.
- ENTRY/REGISTRATION FEE: Entry/Registration is a one-time fee of $25. Registration gives the Artist a chance to enter multiple times and be eligible to win a cash prize in each of the 12 months of the contest. Following registration, the Artist may log in and enter a painting.
- PAINTING ENTRY FEE: The Entry Fee for each painting is $10. This is separate from the one-time registration fee. You can enter as many paintings each month as you wish, and you may enter the same painting again, as long as it has not already been selected as a finalist.
- DATE STAMPED ENTRIES: The painting entry time is date stamped to Arizona USA time and displays on the page with each painting. Entries must remain within the monthly category that reflects the actual server date stamp, which can not be changed. Each monthly competition ends in the final minutes and seconds of the named month, Arizona time. (To confirm the time if submitting a painting in the final hours, type in Googe search: "time in Arizona USA.")
- TRADITIONAL PAINTING MEDIA ONLY (NO PHOTOGRAPHY OR DIGITAL ART): Paintings must be created in traditional media such as oil, watercolor, pastel, pencil, or acrylic. Paintings may be "mixed media" as long as they use a combination of traditional painting/drawing media and are meant to be viewed from one direction as a 2-D (two dimensional) creation.
- ENTRY SPECIFICATIONS - PAINTING IMAGE SIZE: Entries must consist of a quality photograph of your painting submitted as a digital jpeg file. (This means that the file extension should be ".jpg" such as in this example: "picture.jpg"). The file should also be 2 MB or less in size for fast loading online. Following registration, you can upload your file using our online entry form, Add Painting. This form is only visible to registered artists who are logged in to the site. In addition to the file size (kilobytes, or K, or megabytes, M) we also highly recommend that the pixel dimensions are less than 1200 pixels on the longest side, but over 500 pixels on the shortest side. This is so the entire photo can be viewed on a computer screen by the judge. And don't worry about dpi or "dots per inch" because it will automatically become whatever the computer screen displays, usually 72 dpi, after it is uploaded. If you have trouble preparing and uploading your digital photos, you can alternately send us a high quality photograph of your painting in any format or size using the free service, www.wetransfer.com. Our graphic designer can also size and optimize your image for you if need it (optional additional fee—PayPal invoice sent in advance of work performed).
- PRESENTATION OF YOUR PAINTING:
Entries qualifying for finalist status must be photographs of actual, physical paintings (no digital or computer art, please).
*** ATTENTION ARTISTS! Photos of your paintings must not include picture frames, borders, or views of your studio or any background area outside of the actual image. Not following these rules raises the chance your painting will be passed over by the judge in the competition.
Poor quality photos such as those with the surface of the painting tilted at an angle, portions of the painting out of focus, or poor, uneven lighting will not be accepted. For artists seeking information about photographing a painting, there excellent demonstrations on YouTube—just type in the YouTube search, "how to photograph a painting."
- SOLD PAINTINGS: Paintings that have been sold or have won awards in other shows are permitted.
- SELLING FROM OUR WEBSITE, THROUGH THE CONTACT FORM, OR THROUGH THE AUCTION AND BUY NOW: If the Artist sells paintings through this website, the Artist (or his or her representative) agrees to complete and manage the sale, including prompt communicating with the buyer, shipping to the buyer in proper packaging to protect against product damage, and collecting shipping and taxes from the buyer. The artist further agrees to sell only ONE original painting through this website, but may sell any number of prints so long there is no misrepresentation to the buyer regarding stated numbers or limits on print reproductions or editions. Sedona Art Prize does not place itself between seller and buyer, but strives to maintain the highest reputation to promote all its member artists to the highest standards possible.
- AGE OF PAINTING: Paintings entered must have been completed in the past three years. Older paintings shall be considered ineligible for finalist postitions and prizes.
- REPEATED ENTRIES: The same painting may be submitted in different months. However, if the same painting is selected as Best In Show, Finalist or Artists Choice, the painting will not be eligible to receive the awards again. If you submit the same work in another month, the entry fee still applies.
- SALE OF ARTWORK POSTED IN SEDONA ART PRIZE: Artist has the option to indicate if an artwork is for sale, or not for sale. The Sedona Art Prize does NOT receive any sales commission; the Artist collects 100% of sales of his or her work displayed by the Sedona Art Prize.
- ENTRIES AND PUBLIC RECORD: ALL Artwork entries including winners profiles will be displayed on SedonaArtPrize.com. Each entry becomes part of the permanent, historical online competition archive and is available for public viewing at any time.
- FAMILY-FRIENDLY SUBJECT MATTER: There is no restriction on subject matter, but please make sure the entry is "family friendly" due to online publishing standards of Sedona Art Prize. We don't consider artwork "family friendly" if it graphically depicts violence or suicide, or is in any way sexually explicit.
- 12 FINALIST PAINTINGS EACH MONTH: The jury will select 12 finalist paintings each month, including one "Best in Show" winner to receive a cash award of $200.
- ARTIST'S ORIGINAL WORK ONLY: Only Artwork that is personally created by the Artists who enter the competition are eligible. Paintings must be the Artist's original concept and not a copy of anyone else's copyrighted art.
- SIGNATURE: It is highly recommended, but not required, that the Artist's signature be visible in the photo of the painting, to ensure protection of copyright and ownership of the art. You may also apply your name in small print along the bottom edge of the photo of your art (using Photoshop or other image software).
- JUDGES/JURY: For each month of the competition, the jury shall consist of one or more guest art professionals (including established gallery owners and artists not participating in the competition). The decision of the judge or jury is final.
Important Note About Judges: Qualified Artists (those who work as Artists full time and have a substantial award/show/commission resume) who have already entered the competition in a previous month may be selected to serve as a judge in a month they are not participating. The judging of all finalists at the end of 12 months will be by an art professional who has NOT participated in the competition.
- JUDGING CRITERIA: Paintings will be judged according to excellence in the following areas: color, values, composition, treatment of subject matter (mood), creativity/originality, and overall execution/presentation.
- WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT: Awards winners will be announced and posted by the 20th of the following month.
- DEADLINES: If entering a painting into the competition on any given month during the span of the competition, photos may be submitted until midnight, Arizona time (USA), on the last day of the month. Artworks that miss the deadline will be moved to the next month.
- LICENSE: By entering this competition, you are granting Sedona Art Prize a non-exclusive, perpetual license to display images of your artwork on our website and in our press releases and online newsletters, with your name and links to your website (if available) appearing in each case.
- AGE OF PARTICIPANTS: Participating Artists must be 18 or older in order to be eligible to receive awards.
- AWARD PAYMENT TO OTHER THAN USA ARTISTS: If outside of the United States, cash awards will be paid via Paypal. (Artist will need a Paypal account, and will be responsible for any fees Paypal charges on receiving money.)
- REFUNDS: After an Artist's work and website link has been publicly promoted by posting and publishing online, there shall be no refund.
- RIGHT TO REFUSE: The Publishers of Sedona Art Prize reserve the right to refuse any entry.
- REPRESENTATIONS: By submitting an entry to this competition, Artist warrants and represents that his or her artwork is: (a) original work, (b) does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity. The Artist further warrants that: (a) he or she has obtained permission from any person whose name or likeness is used in the artwork; and (b) publication of the artwork via various media, including on the Internet will not infringe on any third-party rights. The Artist indemnifies and holds harmless the Publishers of Sedona Art Prize from claims to the contrary, or loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the artwork and this competition.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering this competition, Artist agrees to hold the Publishers of Sedona Art Prize harmless from lawsuits or legal proceedings due to unforeseen interruptions to this competition or technical disruptions to this website. The artist further agrees to the following: that the Publishers reserve the right to discontinue this competition prior to awarding of prizes in the event of unforeseen circumstances that would prevent its conclusion; in such an event, the Publishers have the option to continue the contest for additional time beyond the stated term, in which case there may be additional finalists competing for awards.
- INDEMNITY: You agree to indemnify and hold the Publishers of the Sedona Art Prize, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, and other partners and employees, harmless from any loss, liability, claim, or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of our website in violation of this Agreement and/or arising from a breach of this Agreement and/or any breach of your representations and warranties set forth above and/or any acts or omissions arising from our representation of you and/or our relationship with you in any manner whatsoever.
- AGREEMENT: By entering the competition, the Artist agrees to abide by this Agreement. THIS COMPETITION SHALL BE CONSIDERED VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Please direct all correspondence to:
Sedona Art Prize (formerly the Gateway To Sedona Artist Competition)
2370 W. State Route 89A, Ste 11 Box 200
Sedona, AZ 86336